Thursday, June 11, 2009

Well, here I sit at work looking through old pictures of my dear friend Ross who passed away 2 years ago. I can't believe it has been two years. I visited him on Friday, June 5, which was the official two years. I took some yellow roses and just sat there and talked to him for a little. At one point, I looked down and I noticed his birthday which I totally had forgotten what it was. It read...


May 1, 1989-June 5, 2007

May 1. May 1. May 1 is when my beautiful cousin passed away. Oh Nayef. My heart aches when I think of you. Sometimes it gets so overwhelming to think about all of you. All of you who have passed. It hurts. Then I start thinking about one of you and you all start rushing back into my mind. Not a single day goes by that you don't cross my mind Nayef. And Ross. And Iyad.
What tragedies.
This isn't even the beginning nor the end.

Ross, I can honestly say that your death was one of the most powerful tragedies in my life. I knew you. I was your friend and you were mine. I have memories with you. Such vivid memories of you. I try never to forget them because I try and remember them as much as possible.

It's not fair. It's not fair that all these young boys had to die and people out there try and die but FAIL. OVER AND OVER. It was a sign. I can't believe it still.
So here is the story.

The date is May 27, 2009. I am driving on 20 East going towards Cooper in Arlington. I am in the midst of passing under the Park Springs bridge when all of a sudden a see a girl fall from the bridge and smack into the concrete.

First reaction was: "OH MY GOD OH MY GOD"
Second reaction was: 911
Third reaction was: U TURN U TURN
Fourth reaction was: Park and sprint down to her

So I get to this girl. She is in bad shape. She is awake, her eyes are open, but she is in a lot of pain and has some blood in her mouth. Cops start to show up and they are questioning me this and that. Her boyfriend says her name.

WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD: I KNOW HER!

Ends up that she was trying to kill herself. And it was her fourth attempt.

I don't get it.I hate thinking about it. I hate crossing under bridges now.

Well all I can say is that I miss you Ross. I miss you Nayef. I miss you Iyad.

Matt Preston and Austin, I miss seeing you around. You have helped me realize a lot. All of you. I am finally starting to realize how important it is to truly live your life to the fullest. It's such a cliche line, I know, but it's so true. It can be taken from you at any second, whether you:

Eat healthy, excercise, drive drunk, sky dive, take vitamins, drive, ski, ride a boat, SHIT EVEN WALKING.
No matter what, if it's your time, it's your time. The hard part is accepting it.

Can you accept it?

No comments: